Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Countdown to Christmas: Advent Calendar


Today's post is a little different. I don't have step by step instructions for this one, but I wanted to share it anyway. I made these calendars for four special kids in my life, and while they were a lot of hard work, they were worth it.

The shelves were custom made by my dad (my go to guy for anything not made of paper or wool). They are a similar size to the furniture for 18" dolls, so I'm hoping the girls will get some more use out of them once they're empty too.

The original idea came when I saw this tutorial from Janet. I loved the idea of the books sitting on a bookshelf. Unfortunately I didn't find enough small things that would fit in the books, and they are very labour intensive so I cut down on the books and added the other boxes and envelopes.

The gifts are all inside different containers made of current and retired Stampin' Up! supplies. Here's a rough list if I can remember everything:

  • Matchbox die (retired)
  • Scallop envelope die (retired)
  • Petite Pocket die (retired)
  • Kraft Gift Box
  • Envelope Punch Board
  • Mini Muslin Bags
I used a variety of current and retired card stock, designer series paper, ribbon, and fabric as well, far too many to list here. A lot of it I just reached into my scrap pile to get the right pieces. I could have gotten much fancier in decorating the containers, but I ran out of time and energy, so most just have the number hand written on with a Stampin' Write marker.

I hope you've enjoyed the Countdown to Christmas series, tomorrow is the big day! Merry Christmas!

Any of the current products can be purchased at my shop here.

1 comment: